It looks like the production of Beetlejuice 2, the sequel to Tim Burton’s 1988 American fantasy-comedy film, will NOT be in the works after some worrying news from the director himself.
The last news about the film’s progress came from Deadline’s report that Mike Vukadinovich, a story editor on the first season of Marvel’s Runaways and writer for the 2017 film Rememory, was brought on to rewrite Beetlejuice 2 at Warner Brothers. Since then, no updates were given about its production.
During an interview for Dumbo, USA TODAY asked Burton about what’s happening with the sequel. The director mumbled, “Nothing, nothing.” When asked about whether Beetlejuice 2 will ever happen, he said, “I don’t know. I doubt it.” USA TODAY also reached out to the studio spokeswoman Candice McDonough who replied, “the project isn’t in active development.”
Larry Wilson, screenwriter for the original film, provided his thoughts on the project being shelved by Warner Brothers:
“The bottom line is, Tim Burton and Michael Keaton are not going to think about a ‘Beetlejuice’ sequel unless it somehow catches the energy of the first film. And that’s not easy,” says Wilson. “‘Beetlejuice’ really was lightning in a bottle. But there have been discussions since it really shocked everyone in 1988. And in terms of ‘Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian,’ wiser heads prevailed. Thank God there’s a level of integrity here.”
Although the film has been put on hold once again, the opening date for the Beetlejuice musical was announced for April 25, 2019. Taking place at the Winter Garden Theatre, it will have a running time of 2 hours and 40 minutes with a 15 minute intermission.
Source: USA TODAY